Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I'm still here

Anyone out there? I wrote one post when I started this blog months ago. Then I left it. Now I'm back. So where to begin?
Nate was a normal developing happy baby. He was a head in his milestones. Then around 15 months, something happened. You'll hear this a lot with parents of children on the spectrum. SOMETHING HAPPENED. I've even seen Jenny McCarthy do some speech where she asks the crowd of forlorned parents of ailing ASD children,

"How many of you had a normal developing child and then something happened?"

Now something is happening to 1 in 88 children. Something is happening to 1 in 54 boys. Something keeps happening. I don't know what exactly happened. I have my suspicions.  At Nate's 15 month check up he got his round of shots including the infamous MMR. Then 2 days later he got the stomach flu. His older sisters got it too. It was a pretty bad one. They actually seemed to get it worse than he did. Nonetheless, things shifted. I can't explain what though. It was a sea change.

Gradually, he stopped getting new words and the words he had stopped being said. At 18 months, his next check up, the pediatrician said he was behind even for a boy who had two older sisters who did all the talking. The concern started creeping in. I mentioned the shots and not being sure about giving him another round and my pediatrician gave me a big ol' lecture that it wasn't that and here's a flyer swearing up and down that it wasn't the shots and on and on. She was probably tired of having to explain to me every time I brought my kids in and it was time for shots that I would try and talk myself out of letting them get them. She was used to hearing me raising these concerns only to then quickly shoot me down and talk me into taking the plunge and allowing them to jab my poor babies with these shots that were supposed to "protect" them.

I wish I had been stronger. But I'm not a very confrontational person. I avoid it. And I just really didn't have a leg to stand on. She's the doctor. She knows. I'm just an irrational mom who needed to be talked down. So they all got their shots. The older two didn't seem to have any problems so o.k. Give them the flippin' shots. (Normally, I'd insert the real naughty word there but I'll try to keep it clean when I write...)

Was it the shots alone? I don't think it was one shot. But I do think the shots contributed. They just get so many so fast. I'm not against vaccines. When I brought my son in as a tiny baby, I asked about spacing out the shots over a longer period of time. But guess what? I was shot down and given a lecture by my pediatrician. She mentioned the studies. I asked if they were paid for by big Pharma. No, no, no... I remember how she didn't actually look me in the eye when she said that...

Now years later, the question of why so many shots in such a short period of time has been answered.  It turns out they do that so they can be sure us dumb parents follow through on making sure they get every shot because if they spaced them out they think us dumbass parents wouldn't follow through on making sure they got them all by the time they were 10 or so. They only think we give a shit about our kids when they're under 2 or something and the CDC wants to make sure to get them in while we give a shit about our kids. Thanks CDC for finally explaining to everyone why you inject the shit out of these kids in the first two years of life. (Sorry, there goes my clean writing...)





So, that's my little bit of run down on what happened to my son. It's a bit of a rant and I'm sorry for that.  It's hard not to get angry when thinking of a whole generation kids that may not be productive members of society. I pray that this won't continue to be the case. Unfortunately, things usually need to get worse before they get better and I'm not sure when we're going to bottom out. I'm doing everything I can to undo the damage that was done to my son. I'm seeing results too. I'll share what I'm doing next time. Because I really do mean for this blog to be about hope. That is my fuel and there's plenty of negative autism blogs out there. I won't lie. Autism SUCKS! I don't even know if you can call it that. This is different. This epidemic just doesn't jive with the label "Autism." But they like labels and they don't want to admit something is very wrong and it's got nothing to do with genetics.

If it were genetics, these kids wouldn't be recovering. They are. More and more are recovering for those who refuse to accept this label and accept that their kids were born like this. We all know we had perfectly healthy children coming into this world and the SOMETHING HAPPENED. We refuse to sit back and let that SOMETHING define our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment